Description and objectives
SUMPORT’s main objective is the improvement of sustainable mobility in MED port cities, by fostering the uptake of Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPs) in the MED area, with a specific focus on integrating city- and port-related traffic flows.
Participating MED port cities will enhance their low-carbon planning capacities thanks to their participation in dedicated training seminars focusing on SUMP and relevant guidelines and tools elaborated at EU level.
The SUMPORT's training course on the elaboration of SUMPs will be held in four SUMPORT cities: Valencia, Igoumenitsa, Koper and Limassol. The training course is devised in four half-day modules that have been designed starting from a thorough need assessment.
The SUMP training programme is intended to provide public officials and local practitioners with the basic knowledge to successfully complete a SUMP planning cycle, while also benefitting from peer-to-peer best practice exchange. The training sessions will be organised with a particular attention to the direct engagement of participants. It is expected that participants will have basic knowledge and understanding of urban transport and mobility issues, with a detailed knowledge and understanding of their local conditions and circumstances.
In the menu, you can browse each training to find out useful material.
If you are interested in joining these trainings, please contact Ms. Eleonora Tu eleonora.tu [@] regione.emilia-romagna.it
1st Training: Overview on SUMPs
The first module was held in Valencia in July 2017. It aimed at providing trainees with an overview of EU policies on sustainable urban mobility. This training covered the following topics:
- Overview on SUMPs and Sustainable Urban Mobility in the EU;
- the basic background of the SUMP concept and benefits, explaining its relevance within the EU transport policies;
- available (technical and financial) support provided at EU level,
- Different local contexts, frameworks and barriers in developing a SUMP
2nd Training: SUMPs process and beyond
The second module (Koper, December 2017) will introduce the concept of SUMP in a holistic way and explain the SUMP process.
The following topics will be addressed:
- Rationale, Objectives, Main activities of SUMPs;
- Suggestions and recommendations to draft a SUMP beyond the simple EU guidelines, for cities that have already achieved an advanced level or planning;
- Timing of the planning process and coordination with other activities;
- Check-list for the main steps.
3rd Training: SUMPs GOOD PRACTICES
The third module (Igoumenitsa, June 2018) will present local and international best practices in SUMP. The training will cover these topics:
- The full planning process, achievements, drivers and barriers of SUMPs;
- Good (or bad) practices in specific phases of the planning process;
- Case studies and experience of the Consultancy team;
- The EU knowledge basis and SUMPORT partners experiences;
- Examples of specific issues of the SUMP process;
- Examples of SUMP developed in port cities.
4TH Training: SUMP MEASURES
The fourth module (Limassol, December 2018) will present the available tools and approaches to select the best mix of integrated policy measures for your SUMP. Topics covered will include:
- An overview of possible interventions, the classification developed and adopted under the CIVITAS program (which since 2002 represents the largest initiative of the European Commission on sustainable urban mobility).
- As part of the CIVITAS program, more than 700 urban sustainable mobility measures have been tested in more than 70 demonstration cities across Europe. The Urban Transport Roadmaps tool (developed by the Consultancy team on behalf of the EC DG-MOVE) will be used to help the participants to assess their plans.